BPO Industry Benchmarking Data: BPESA’s Annual Key Indicator Report 2015, South Africa
BPESA (www.bpesa.org.za), the South African industry body for the BPO & Captive contact-centre sector, has just published its latest annual industry Key Indicator Report (KIR) for 2015.
This annual benchmarking survey conducted by BPESA, with the participation of many of the major BPO operators and several Captive CSC operations, has become a regular feature in the South African industry’s calendar. And, every year it keeps getting better and adding value to everyone working in this sector.
This comprehensive report includes insights across a broad range of trends and functions in the sector, including service trends, the number of new jobs created, the SA business environment for running a CSC operation, and human capital.
In this year’s report, on pages 17 – 23, you’ll find lots of interesting insights into high-level sector trends – such as: the ratio of BPO to Captive operations, as well as the headcounts of both these market segments; the industries being serviced by SA’s BPO operations; and the languages that these services are being provided in, etc.
On pages 24 – 29, you’ll find the changing trends on Contact-Centre Operations. These include the fast moving channel distribution that local operators are providing in customer services and the digital media mix that these involve; and the staff skills development strategies being driven by the changing face of contact-centre delivery, etc.
And on pages 31 – 38, you’ll find extensive industry Human Capital benchmark data and insights, including for: agent salaries and benefits, absenteeism and attrition, etc.
In brief summary of the sector’s human capital trends, BPESA provide an Executive Summary of the key HR findings in their KIR 2015:
- Employment Contract Types: The BPO sector is maturing and becoming a sustainable source of employment with 91.7% of agents permanently employed.
- Staff Attrition: The average attrition rate for agents in South Africa is 30.9%. Attrition rates are highest among international outsourcers: 46.4% in Gauteng, 50.8% in the Western Cape and 54.5% in KwaZulu-Natal. Attrition among international outsourcers in the Western Cape increased by 4% in 2015 to 50.8%.
- Staff Abesenteeism: The average absenteeism rate for the sector is 7.3%. Absenteeism is highest in KwaZulu-Natal at 8.5%, followed by the Western Cape at 7.3% and Gauteng at 5.6%. In the Western Cape overall absenteeism improved by 1.4% from 8.7% in 2014 to 7.3% in 2015.
- Shift Transport: In terms of staff transport needs, 64.7% of companies pay for their staff transport after late shifts, while 29.4% share the costs with their staff and 5.9% require their staff to pay for their own transport. Of the companies providing transport, 64.7% pay for their staff’s transport when they work night shifts (6pm -6am), with 29.4% sharing the costs with the staff and 5.9% requiring their staff to pay for their transport costs.
- Age Demographics Of The Sector’s Employees: 60.7% of agents employed by international outsourcers are between the ages of 18 and 25, and 33.9% between 26 and 30. 47.9% of agents employed by domestic companies are between the ages of 26 to 30 and 42.6% between 18 and 25.
The ongoing growth of the BPO and the Captive operators in Cape Town and in South Africa means that developing a broad and deep industry talent pool is a critical strategic imperative for the sector, especially in sustainable industry skills-pipelines.
In this regard, BPESA is working with stakeholders in the private and public sector to ensure a sustainable skills development supply-chain becomes a permanent reality for South Africa’s BPO and Captive CSC sector.
In order to deliver this, they are executing a long-term Industry Skills Development Strategy, which you can read in full here: http://www.bpesa.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Skills-Strategy-Full-Version.pdf
For the activities BPESA is delivering in the execution of Industry Skills Development, have a look at their website’s Skills Overview website page: http://www.bpesa.org.za/skills-overview/
For info’ about BPESA’s work (and free resources) for industry human capital, look at the URLs we provide below.
You can download a FREE PDF copy of BPESA’s Key Indicator Report (KIR) for 2015at their website here:
BPESA are doing lots of great work and providing lots of relevant information to help the industry (and HR practitioners in the industry) to address the human capital and skills development needs.
Check out some of the great info, benchmarking data, and tools & resources they provide for free here:
- Skills Landscape Overview: http://www.bpesa.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Skills-Strategy-Full-Version.pdf
- Skills Supply-Chain Overview: http://www.bpesa.org.za/skills-overview/skills-supply-chain/
- BPESA’S Agent Skills Development Gamification App: http://www.formula-d.co.za/TeamC4/
- Skills Portal Resource: http://www.bpesaskillsportal.co.za/register.php
- Skills Development Courses Available: http://www.bpesaskillsportal.com/users/user_courses.php
- Industry Job Function Competency Profile Matrices: http://www.bpesaskillsportal.com/users/user_competency_profile.php
For example here’s the Competency Profile Matrix for the Team Leader job function, based on a comprehensive survey of all the major industry operators in Cape Town and South Africa, see:
For more information on how to access this supply chain in your province you can contact the BPeSA Human Capital Manager, Andy Searle, by email on: email@example.com.
If you are interested in more industry benchmarking data, then check out Status’ Industry Salary & Benefits Survey Report for Cape Town Operations in 2015:
- Agent Salary Bands: http://www.statusstaffing.com/industry-salary-benefits-survey-bpo-captive-contact-centres-cape-town-2015/
- Ops & Support Salary Bands: http://www.statusstaffing.com/bpo-industry-salary-survey-2015-ops-support-salary-bands/
- Agent Benefits, Transport & Shifts: http://www.statusstaffing.com/bpo-industry-salary-survey-2015-benefits-transport-shifts/
- Also, you can see our presentation of these salary survey findings in a YOUTUBE VIDEO from a HR & Ops Exec Forum event last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRJH93R2tY8
You can find lots of great free Status digital content on industry news, business intelligence, research & surveys, events, top local candidates, and sector trends on our HR & Ops Forum content website-page at: http://www.statusstaffing.com/category/hr-ops-blog/
If you’d like to find out more about what we do and how we do it, how we can help you and your organisation or to chat about local industry trends, then contact Jeff at: firstname.lastname@example.org or our Marketing Team at: email@example.com